Take your writing – and knowledge of history – a step further with these writing prompts from history.
- Your father is a pastor of a small church in Cuba in 1958. Rumors have swirled for years that Fidel Castro is going to take control of the government from Fulgencio Batista. Now there is talk Batista is planning to flee the country. How do you and your family prepare for the changes that may be coming?
- You are cast as an extra in a scene for a movie. The scene involves a chariot race, and you along with thousands of other people, have been called in to be the crowd. You’re told the movie stars Charlton Heston and will be released in 1959. Describe your experience on the set.
- You are in the crowd at Belmont Park on June 9, 1973. A horse named Secretariat is racing for the Triple Crown. What happens during the race, and what made the victor’s time even more astonishing?
- It is 1973, and the President of the United States has just ordered rationing of certain types of fuel supplies to try to prevent an energy crisis. How do you respond to the news? What impact does this have on your family?
- You are in the crowd at Turner Field on April 8, 1974, when Hank Aron hit a two-run shot in the bottom of the fourth inning. Describe what happens next.
Enjoy these writing prompts? Sign up to receive 100 writing prompts from history FREE!